In the wintertime sun sets directly in front of my cabin, it sinks into the middle of the lake and then disappears.

In the summertime sun sets to the west, gracefully sinking into our campfire.

When it´s REAL summer she´ll be many more meters to the right and I can´t help but feel that these fixations points that we refer to… aren´t fixated at all. Which, but of course, make a deep impact on me: I´ve been trying so hard, for four years now, to create some sort of predictable, fixated, narrative about our life out here, about other people and the world in itself but surrender is approaching and I feel fine.

In the wintertime the sun hangs low, she wades along the horizon. In the summertime she hangs above our heads and swallows all of our shadows, our demons slain by the thin Scandinavian air. I like both of her positions. I can´t put a finger on any of her positions.

I´m trying to find meaning in the fluctuation itself. Sometimes I succeed. Other times I don´t but one things for sure: what I wanted was for life to make sense again, that´s why we ran to the forest- and now it does.
I have nothing to complain about. On the other hand you won´t find me in the gospel choir since I don´t believe in preaching (but I do believe in praying)

I´m drinking raspberry tea…
(pick with love, ferment for four days, dry and place in an airtight container)

(it tastes a bit dry and very earthy)

… while eating raspberry cake (homemade hindbærsnitter)DSCF2431

I am de facto truly and utterly authentically present and content.
Read a book. Did some embroidery. I have time.

We´ve had people living with us in the cabin for the last month (first Lasse- he moved into the woods now, then my mother in law then shortly my mother and stepfather) It´s been cosy and nice, I like to show them “THIS is why we did it!” (and they seem to get it)

– but I also like the fact that we´re alone right now.
Sigurd sitting by my side, eating an egg, a bit of embers in the oven, some ongoing fermentation on the kitchen counter

You know how spring feels when you live in the woods?

It feels intense. In east and in west, up and below, all the way around.
A strong river stream of incoming people. A quiet storm. A slow burning fire. Lost in the green. Seconds run by wildly, seconds lasts forever.
It might not differ so much from life in the city except from one thing (for me): I notice.

I have nothing more to say right now but I enjoyed writing this blog post.

10 comments on “A short second in time

1. Abigail Higgins says:

dear andrea
    oh boy, yes– “seconds run by wildly, seconds last forever” !
    you put spring in a sentence.
    blindsided by it, gob-smacked, dazed, but becoming totally alive.
    all best,
    ~ abigail

I enjoyed reading this, Andrea, full of good energy. Beautiful pictures! And such youthful looking grandparents!! And yes, the spring feels intense, sometimes crazy intense, good thing nature counterbalances that intensity with some calming green.

3. Bill says:

This resonates with me. Surrender is approaching and I feel fine.

Mmmm… the first part. delicious.
    And then…
    I can put a finger on all of her positions. And she likes it – all of it.

Finally, when it comes you’re not thinking about it. (you are it)
    For if you think about it then it does not come.

What am I doing? Preaching? surrendering? being naughty? being inappropriate?

The world is your mirror, Love
    To shine back at you everything you need to see
    Don’t question the mirror, Love
    Question everything instead

Especially me.

5. Roar Pilevad says:

And i enjoyed Reading it
    Have a great summer
    Roar

6. Pernille says:

I have now tried that raspberry leave tea and it surprised me deep. Mild green taste and clear golden colour that occur after few minutes in the tea water. I am now trying to ferment some lemon balm leaves to see how that affect the taste. It is joyful to experiment in different green leave teas knowing that some day that knowledge will be vital and not just add flavour to the hot water. The DIY stuff makes sense in so many ways, near and far. Who need those pesticided and artificial perfumed teas anyway. Each one of us live this life for us as a person, together with our family, not in sake for other people or religions. Surrender is good, who knows what tomorrow brings, along with the sun and the birds and the wind and.. lovely family you got. Good to know that they understand your choice of living.

1. 🙂 I´m totally hooked on the tea making too!

“Lost in the green.” Love that! Made me think of a current favorite book my boys borrowed from the library. Part goes like this:
    Green is new in Spring. Shy.
    Green peeks from buds,
    trembles in the breeze.
    Green floats through rain-dark trees,
    and glows, mossy-soft, at my feet.
    Green drips from tips of leaves
    onto Pup’s nose.
    In Spring,
    even the rain tastes Green.
    -from Red Sings from Treetops: a year in colors
    by Joyce Sidman

🙂 We just returned this one back to the library.

A kindred spirit! I knew it! 🙂