It is a strange coincidence. It truly is.

The full moon has me sleepless. I know that something is calling on me, I am too lazy to get up.

Birch trees has begun their wonderous magic. From deep below the mine the water and the minerals and the wisdom of, well, the deep below. The water flow in them, fountains of water! You only have to align yourself to that stream, you only have to tap into the trees and there it is, you have access to it. Water of life.

DSCF1930

As we do every year we bathe, swim and drink it in. Large mouthfuls. As we could swallow the world.

And then Lulu in the woods sends of one of her letters. This one really got to me. She writes about how we are surrounded by the written letter and how the written letter is actually some sort of magic… so we are surrounded by a absentminded kind of magic all of the time, we are drowning in magic that dosn´t matter. She writes how she is considering never to write again. To never read again. I wonder if my written word is not my liberation- but my entrapment. I wonder if there are too many words in the world.

I want to move like the deer through the forest. I want to hum like a tree.

Drinking my morning coffee alone, everyone still asleep, the forest is alive with sound, nature is never still, it does speak to me. It´s just that I´m often too lazy to listen… but even when I´m too lazy to listen these anti-words, these sounds, will come to me. The sound of pouring birch water into a cup. Stop! THAT sound!

(Working on the barn, he made these boards himself when creating timber for the sauna)

DSCF1918

I´m there too. Sawing in sunshine.

DSCF1921
And then there is this sound.

DSCF1914

28 comments on “Too many words

1. syberpunk says:

Try the chaga /sprängticka from the birtch for tea . Its good medicin .
    You can not overdose .
    But never mix nature medicin with industrial farmaka – just to be shure off not having sideefects .
    I coock the chaga in birtchwater .

2. Bill says:

Maybe there are too many words in the world. But I don’t think there are too many good words. Of those, there are probably too few.

Maybe words are entrapments when they’re not well-chosen, and liberating when they are.

You’ve given me good food for thought this morning Andrea. Thanks for sharing your words.

Who is going to have any time for words drinking all that tree juice. 🙂
    But now that birds are singing, nature is singing with its mighty colors and movement, less need for human babbling. Me too, sitting now on the back porch with coffee in the morning watching robins run up close and squirrels doing their tricks, kids fashioned new birdfeeders, cardinals and woodpeckers are now frequent guests, we just listen. Still, there are those who need a good word as much as a helping hand. Words can hurt, but words can also heal as much as the birch tree sap. Keep doing whatever feels right for you, keep drinking up life, and be happy! 🙂
    And to your previous post about student questions, I was thinking how great it is that people are asking you questions! That is the first HUGE step. Also, in the ideal world, it would be wonderful if you were able to say, you know what, come over for a day or two, stay with us, and that will answer all your questions. I know you cannot do that, but maybe, one day, you or someone else will.

Syber, are you back from your sea adventures? How was it?

1. syberpunk says:

Ahoj bee happy
      My adventure on sea gose on and on . I live on bord since two years .
      I dream off waterworld and seapeople . Ill find my island .
      Free like the wind .
      Thanx for asking . Yes its a great life on sea . Still cold here in the baltic – but right know i own it all by my self .
      I feel like a king out there and visit the old viking places to feel the power off the past throw my mind into the future .
      It is a free world out here on sea .
      It blows my mind , and put me in perspectiv the same time .
      Im a normad in time and space .
      Just love it .

Sounds like you really do love it. Like birds, some are guarding oceans, others -mountains, and some need forests. Enjoy. Nice to have that vastness of time and space. My dad takes a boat on the Baltic, but I believe they stay close to the shores.

4. David says:

I’m curious to know what Lulu in the Woods wrote in this letter. From what you say here, Andrea, this puts me in mind of David Abram’s book The Spell of the Sensuous, which talks about how our relationship with (what he eloquently calls) the more-than-human world gets radically changed (broken?) with the invention of alphabetic writing.

In any case, both this and Abram’s second book, Becoming Animal, are both highly recommended. The first book is a mix of the experiential and the formal/scholarly (in a good way), while the second, newer book is much more an invitation to a felt, lived experience of that more-than-human world.

1. David says:

One of David Abram’s main claim is this: Alphabetic writing makes us forget that all the other, more-than-human beings around us communicate just as much as human beings do. So when we learn to write, we go from speaking *to* and *with* the world and its inhabitants to speaking *about* them.

Of course, he has a whole book in which to back this up.

And ironically, he wrote a book about alphabetic writing. .. ok, just kidding.
        Thank you so much, will take a look at the books, although I doubt he is the first one to bring thees ideas forward, but I am interested to see how he ties in his experiences as a magician and perception to this theme.

Sadly, we are so obsessed with teaching alphabet and grammar rules to 3 year olds and making sure all can read written text by age 6 or else…so we jail them in away from the body of natue where they should be learning the real language. The amount of childrens books that is published is also crazy and many had unfortunately forgotten how to simply tell stories rather than just read books to kids.

2. yes, David, that is exactly the book she mentions! I´m very curious to read it!:-)

1. Richard G. says:

Andrea, I’ve been reading your posts ever since Ben Hewitt pointed me this way and I am so very taken by your writing. It is one of a handful of beacons that I turn to for help on guiding my thoughts and next steps in my life. Thank you.

And I’ll put my two cents in…The Spell of the Sensuous by David Abram is magnificent. It really stunned me and froze me in my tracks the first time I read it.

I loved Lulu’s letter, too, and think her writing and yours are very complimentary. I’ve had roles in my life where I had to talk a lot and found out a couple of things: (1) I got VERY tired of the sound of my own voice and wanted to be quiet whenever I wasn’t “working’ and; (2) perhaps a reason for number 1, I found I used a lot of the same words over and over again. Certain roles come with their own vocabulary (think the medical field, for instance) and technology today with acronyms and shortened versions of everything make this even worse. So, I think a poverty of vocabulary (as a result of the constrained environment I was in) was partly to blame and I started trying to use less common words just to hear something different coming out of my mouth. I find I also tend to avoid shortened words now, especially since my boys were born (telephone instead of phone, etc). There is the Slow Food movement, maybe this is my version – a Slow Speech movement. I don’t want to be in such a hurry that I can’t say the entire word and I want my boys to know such fullness of speech exists (or used to, anyway.)
    This discussion of words and communication also reminds me of The Wildwood Chronicles. It is a series of 3 books (in the juvenile section of my library. The main character is 12 years old so I suppose they are written with that age group in mind or those who have not forgotten what it was like to be that age.) During the many adventures in these stories, the main character discovers she has the ability to hear plants communicate. Some hum, hiss, others vibrate but they all speak to her in real ways that are integral to the story. I loved reading them and am sure many of you all would, too.

6. I don’t know. On days like this I really think there is hope for the human race. I read Lulu, I read you, I read NCFarmChick, I read Syberpunk, I read BeeHappee, I read everybody, Ben, everybody, and I feel like there is hope for the human race. Some days, like today, I feel that we with our questioning and openness and quest for truth are infiltrating from the bottom up. Quietly. Without fanfare. All Quiet on the Quest-ern Front.

7. David says:

Thanks for the book suggestion, NC! I will check those out soon… “Slow Speech” – also a great idea, and I love the label for it.

BeeHappee: Telling stories: Yes! Hugely important! (David Abram talks about this, too, and how telling stories is so, so very different from reading books.)

Does anyone know if there’s a way to read the Lulu letter you’re all talking about? I just signed up for her newsletter yesterday after all of the discussion here, and it looks like I have to wait until the next installment to read anything (assuming she decides to write again…).

1. Kathleen says:

Yes I am interested in Lulu’s letter too!

2. Louisa says:

Hi David, don’t worry I am going to be continuing my newsletters, in the meantime, I have just archived the April edition on my subscribe page, just click on the ‘View Letter Archive’ and select the April Egg Moon letter from the list x

1. David says:

Thanks, Louisa! I look forward to reading it!

NC, The Wildwood Chronicles, is it the one by Colin Meloy? The illustrations look beautiful, will check them out for sure. Thank you so much.
    We had such great books about veggies and fruits / pinecones/ mushrooms / bugs and all nature things living in towns and doing things, but I cannot recall what the books were and who wrote them. Just remember reading them over and over again.

Some of my favorites as a 7-10 year old kid was Astrid Lindgren books full of nature and sweet exploration (appropriate to mention on this Swedish blog!) like Rasmus and the Vagabond, Seacrow Island, and Happy Times in Noisy Village. Cannot wait for my kids to be old enough to read them.

I also have Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Kimmerer on my shelf begging to be read.

Yes, Bee, that’s the one. He’s a member of a band called The Decemberists (writes most of the lyrics) and it’s his wife who is the illustrator. I think you’d enjoy them.
      Astrid Lindgren! Love, love, love. Our copies of The Tomtem and The Tomten and the Fox are about worn out (and they are surprisingly hard to find anymore.) And, of course, Pippi was my hero growing up. I wanted to be a combination of her and Laura Ingalls Wilder. I think I won’t wait till my boys are old enough to read her other stuff and just enjoy it all again soon.

1. My kids loved the Wildwood Chronicles, and I really like the Decemberists. Ha, didn’t know they were connected. You learn something new every day :).

9. David says:

Lots of synergies going on here. Braiding Sweetgrass is on my to-read list, as well. If you get to it first, Bee, please let us know what you think!

10. Never write again? Never read again?
    To me that’s just plain silly. Why not?
    Words can contain so much; knowledge, wisdom, emotion. Like Bee said that can heal, they can transmit ideas, create….
    What we have these days are far too much empty words. Words that contain nothing, express nothing, create nothing or add nothing. Ot words that hurt, destroy, spread hate and fear.
    Yes, it is a magic. A very powerful magic. Extremely effective or destructive when used by those who are able to wield that power. And I regularly have the feeling that it is those that (try to) wield that power, that are the ones drowning in them, wallowing in them, unable to keep quiet, who have lost the ability to use that magic in a practical way.
    Words are a tool, nothing more. It is the user that determines how much of it he uses and how. It is the receiver who determines how much he will absorb.

1. Well said Ron, well said!

You are wise, Ron, and use words far better than most. Thank you!

1. Wise??
        Most of the time I consider myself a blithering idiot or a muttering sourpuss….
        Your gentle words stroke my ego and lift my spirit on this very windy, yet sunny morning. See what you and I just did?

😉

“So many Gods, so many creeds,
          So many paths that wind and wind
          When just the art of being kind
          Is all the sad world needs.”

From “The World’s Need” by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Maybe we can do that!

A poem found in the essay “Wild Language” by Robert Bringhurst :

Give up writing he wrote.
    Give up music and singing, he sang.
    Give up poetry, painting, calligraphy,
    dancing and miming, he mimed.
    Give up thinking, he thought.

But the song kept on singing,
    the dance kept on dancing,
    thought kept on thinking,
    the breeze kept blowing, the sun
    continued to shine.

Bringhurst has another essay “The Tree of Meaning and the Work of Ecological Linguistics” in which he mentions David Abram. If you can find them, Bringhrust’s works are wonderful.

“That’s what you and I are really for: to make it possible for certain kinds of stories to exist.”

12. Louisa says:

The strange thing about writing a newsletter is that if you suddenly get an influx of subscribers you have no idea who has mentioned your name and linked to your page. It feels like a wonderful mystery. A couple of ‘clues’ lead me here however, and I finally find out who linked to me and it makes me smile. Really smile x x x