BILLEDERFØRSTETOMÅNEDER 101

Our first campfire in the wild

“Are you trying to create some sort of movement?” someone asked me and I said no. “But I’m part of a movement”

Being part of something seems to be increasingly important to me.

I’m part of a movement of people who “opt out”, leave the loop, go back to nature and/or try to build themselves more sustainable lives on small-scale homesteads around the world.
It is a movement of people who are fed up with the exploitations of the capitalistic system, a movement of people experimenting and trying to find new ways of raising kids and being together, working together, exchanging gifts, thoughts, blood.
Rewilding is a beautiful thing, a fabulous movement of people reconnecting with land, ancestors, themselves…. I guess we’re part of that movement. Old and stubborn as we are.

There have been movements like this ever since industrialisation. Thought the hippies where the first? Think again. The first “nature boys” came from Europe, they saw a world of growing globalisation (import of goods and spices from the colonies), communication (telegraph, railways), unequal distribution of the wealth (great poverty, great riches) and geopolitical turmoil, wars.

This movement is kind of old.
Seems that we have been trying- continuously to protest and reform, seems as we have continuously – lost.
It’s good to know though… that the movement have roots.
(and I can’t help but notice this coincidence: historically the movement seems to gain in popularity just before the beginning of a great war)

Our entrance into this movement (and daily life) have however been rather different from a lot of the people you hear about (for instance in this National Geographic series called “live free or die”)

Because we have kids and because we had an established life before we did this.
We threw ourselves out there, into the wild, but our kids knew of a different world and our hearts/bodies/conceptions of times had been shaped by the system we wanted to leave.
And we were not young.
And we were not single guys.
We’ ve met a lot of young single guys though. Lots. Wandering boys. People travelling north to settle in primitive tribes in the great Finish forests. They’re good people, I’ ve enjoyed their company even the company of the ones practising some hip trend called “radical honesty” (one day I’ll tell you that story, it still makes me laugh so hard)

Some of these young people tell me about their ideology, how they recent the grid or plastic- but then they come to my house to use my electricity (from the solar panel) or drink the coffee that came in plastic wrapped boxes. Or use the internet.

I’ ve sen so many of them now. Travelling through. Older people too. Artist. Dreamers. Dedicated prophets and free-spirited vegans. Broken people. Refugees. Soldiers. A tribe of young Europeans tracking wolfs, raising their kids in the wild. Dudes buying farms together. Young couples in love working night and day in their new permaculture self-sufficient garden, getting pregnant, having loads of animals, getting tired.
I love these people wildly for trying, I respect trying…. so if they tell me that we make too many compromises, sell out, are too dependent on money or the internet I just smile, it doesn’t even annoy me anymore.
We have proven time here. They don’t.
I know it sounds horrible but it’s how I feel.
It’s far too easy to be ideological. It’s far too easy to protect your image of self. It’s far too easy… if you’re a lifestyle tourist. If you’re just passing through.
As I said: pragmatism. I choose pragmatism… but I love their ideology, I love their dedication and I think they are needed, they inspire me, make me think and ask questions. Stay true, stay true.

We have a car, our log cabin is insulated with some rock wool (the horror!), we use the internet and we need money. These are some of the (pragmatic) compromises we have made and I don’t regret them… these have been some of the sacrifices we made to make it work. It works. We’ve got it made, we really have; I write this in the comfort of my second home in the wild. 3 wood stoves burning, fresh clear well water in the bucket above the sink, food in the pantry and it’s a sunny day. This forest has been so good to us.

Yet I can’t help but feel a deep urge to connect with others like us. I can’t be the freight train or the trail blazer anymore, I can’t be the pseudo parent or the hostess, I want to PARTICIPATE.
Something bigger. Something larger.

That’s how I feel. This morning.

moreclearingground

The first ground that we cleared

mere

The first time our first log cabin looked a little bit like a house

BILLEDERFØRSTETOMÅNEDER 252

First time we heard the wolfs howl

BILLEDERFØRSTETOMÅNEDER 320

Sigurds first steps

58 comments on “Rewilding

Thanks so much Andrea, these type of thoughts are why I started reading your blog – and to get inspiration to start from zero. 🙂 Please tell more about radical honesty. Selling out. . What is selling out, those judgements and all radical ideologies can get really absurd sometimes and even contradictory, like a vegan refusing to drink cow’s milk because they claim it is abuse to the animal, so they buy coconut mil or coconut oil that came from thousands of miles away where coconuts were harvested using and abusing local animals – so much for avoiding animal cruelty.
    Beginning of great war.. I hope not, not a war in killing sense, I hope.
    You are lucky to have had each other. Beautiful words, thank you!

1. Radical honesty is a concept where people abide to always telling exactly what they feel, no censorship. It can be hard to be around people who practise radical honesty because so much of our general interactions with each other are based on subtle things such as body language and general sensibility towards the other. A lot of negotiations and small favors- something which radical honesty kind of blows up.
      (yes, I think you ass looks big in that dress, no, I don’t thing this food was delicious ect ect 😉

2. Katrine Williams says:

Thanks your sharing your thoughts and words with us. Now and then I google your name to see how your are getting on partly to get inspired, partly because I think it is a brave and amirable life you are leading. You are not alone, you are part of a perhaps an underground movement, but it is only taking its first baby steps, we have just not found our right path yet, but we are in search of it. Keep the faith. 🙂

1. I will. Thanks 🙂

3. syberpunk says:

Why the need off proving anything compered to anybody ?

We’re homeschoolers (8 years) and I’ve seen ideology burn out so many families. I’ll take pragmatism every time :).

1. Exactly! It burns out people…

5. Hej Andrea….
    I know it too… The established life, the kids, the dependence of money, the longing, the jump…… and the landing. Those young and idealistic and unrealistic frontmen and women, yes they are needed. Someone has to carry the banner, the flag and the slogans for other, more down to earth and realistic people to follow and to put into practice what the first group dreamt of, but failed to do, crushed by harsh reality.
    And you and I and I am sure many of our readers and countless others… We are part of something bigger! We are that second wave. We are the ones transforming those wonderful ideas and ideals into something realistic, into something of practical use.
    And the third wave will benefit from that. People like our children and, hopefully, our grandchildren.
    The first wave comes running, has the ideas and crashes like waves onto rocks, if they do not transform into the second wave, which will stumble, fall on their face and yet get back up again, learning, (un)doing… so the third wave has foundations to continue building upon.

1. I really hope so! 🙂

6. syberpunk says:

We have proven time here . They dont .

1. You are right that was judgemental of me to frase it like that.
      It’s just that sometimes it can make one bitter when strangers straight out of the city tell you about how living in the wild should be… but I try to fight that bitterness in me and luckily I’ ve met a whole lot of people with proven time too… still young and idealistically but at the same time walking the talk. More than anything THAT’s what I respect. I respect it when you’ve proven yourself.

I remember when we were brand new to the forest. The older people here would look at us the same way, they would even have bets running about if we would last one winter or not…

7. Oh! I realised that the link to the national geographic program was broken, here’s the real link: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/live-free-or-die/

8. kathrynpagano says:

I’d like to know what those idealist do when it’s crazy cold and there is 5 feet of snow! I live in the deserts of Arizona. I understand being “free” here where at least there is no snow. Idealism won’t keep you warm when it’s -5C.

I adore your blog. I rarely comment but I love hearing about all the things you are thinking or doing.

9. oshcelt says:

I’ve been following your blog for a wee while now, since I came across one of your essays on The Dark Mountain.
    I find the depth of courage and the spiritual connection to the land that you and your family have nurtured, inspirational!
    When I was a young lad, I spent inordinate amounts of time in the woods with my friends, where we built dens from tree branches, cooked (well, burnt would be a more apt description! ;). ), contraband sausages and other stolen delights from our parents refrigerators and with tongues stuck between our teeth in serious concentration, fashioned some of the sorriest looking bows and arrows known to mankind. 🙂

Over the last few years, I’ve become aware of that wild and wyrd spirit of boyhood tapping on the shoulder of my soul , coughing politely and gesturing toward the woods once again.
    Your blog along with DM have planted seeds that are beginning to germinate and sprout ideas for living a simpler, unencumbered way of life.

I don’t have it all planned out or anything, but I think like yourselves, that one day soon it’ll just happen and a few tools and musical instruments will be chucked in the car and off I’ll head towards the wild, wild wood…..maybe even to northern Sweden, as it’s all but impossible to try and attempt this sort of lifestyle in Scotland these days…. Well unless you’re rich!

Thanks for all the inspiration , honest writing and a window into a truly different way of being.

Ossian MacUrcrin. 🙂

Loved your comment. Yes, somehow we are drawn to those exact childhood experiences for the rest of our lives, no matter where we are. . But also, maybe that just is a human nature. it is surely not to sit in some glassed off skyrises day after day, although looking at some people content with that life, makes you wonder if that adaptation is possible for some. There is a pretty sad expression in Lithuanian: Even a dog being hung gets used to that experience. So yes, you can get a human and get them used to being hung as a dog, especially if you start “training” them early. . .
      Good luck!

1. oshcelt says:

I wonder if that’s where the phrase “a hang-dog expression” comes from?
        Thanks very much for adding your thoughts to my humble wee comment. :).
        Going back to the point about idealists/purists; I think at any point in history, whether politically, culturally or artistically, there have always been idealists and purists who act like catalysts. People who take inspiration from such pure mavericks, rarely adopt wholesale the ideas being espoused in it’s purist form, but rather, take elements that are pertinent to their own personal circumstances and so evolve the original philosophy/idea into another version of itself.
        Back in my teens and twenties, I was quite heavily involved in the 60s inspired Mod scene and whilst we took a lot of inspiration from the original 1960s Mods, we were conscious of developing new, fresh elements and inspirations and our mantra ( and the point of this wistful trip down memory lane), was; “Adopt, Adapt, Improve”
        Seems like it’s still a relevant motto for us folk on here finding our own ways to live a simpler more harmonious life. There is no definitive “How to live in the wild” manual, we just have to figure out what is the best way for each of us, using inspiration where we find it, whether that be in the written word or from folk who broadly share similar ideas for ways of being in the world.
        This blog pretty much ticks both those boxes…. A sort of virtual gathering around the tribal campfire. 🙂

Hail fellow,well met!

2. I love to hear about these childhood experience with nature that so many people have- and hold dear. It really makes me feel hope. Thank you!

1. (i can’t really figure out the nested nature of these comments but O: hail to you too, thanks for being here 🙂

2. oshcelt says:

And thank you Andrea, for creating this space where all us like minded souls can gather, to share ideas and experiences.
        Many blessings to you and your family.
        🙂

10. pingvinenogpandaen says:

As always, when I read your blog, I think:: Thank you, Andrea – and this time I write it 🙂
    I think a lot of us are not able to do the whole thing, i.e. live 100% of the grid, however, 100% is probably not necessary. At least not for all. And it makes it possible to live somewhat of the grid. Do some of the things for ourselves, fx. see to which extend we can live of the land, etc. You give a lot.Of yourself, you life, your thoughts. And there fore I thank you.
    Hugs,
    Camilla

1. Yes, exactly. I don’t think this lifestyle is for everyone- as living in the city is not for everyone. What is needed is pluralism I think… that we are allowed to be different and allowed to inspire each other (instead of fighting each other) Thanks for commenting!

Even though I have spent my entire life generally avoiding joining things (I share your healthy distrust of anything too organized), I so understand the desire to be a part of something. If only for pragmatic reasons (a tribe of folks to be there for you when you need them and vice versa), being a part of something has its appeal. But, you’re right, ideology gets the fire going but you need the “walk the walk” people to keep it going. Those are the people that are harder to find because I think they tend to be too busy walking and not out there promoting themselves. And it must be a sign of our times, that we look for someone to be a leader rather than just being the leader of our own lives and somehow letting that bump us up into other people doing similar things. I suppose, because of your experience and your writing, others put you in that leadership role whether you sought it out or not. I think you are a leader but you shouldn’t feel the burden of shouldering a bunch of other people’s dreams. You can be a candle giving light to others but please don’t let your flame burn out. I enjoy what you have to say far too much for that to happen. Thank you, Andrea!

Yeah, I’m a big tent kinda guy. I was pretty excited about 8 years ago at the very beginning of the Tea Party in America and there was a book about how those folks might somehow align with the American Left – you know, poor and middle class folks working together… Anyway, I guess Occupy tried to tap into that too but the opportunity was over probably 10 years ago… Everybody gets pigeon holed. And I was excited too when I watched the trailer for Burt’s Bees movie. But the trialer is all the movie is worth. See, when the rich and the comfortable join a movement other than the movement to stay rich and comfortable or to get richer and more comfortable… That’s when the movements start ending. That’s what was so disapointing about the 60s movements… to see all those people get so comfortable in their jeans and black turtle necks, selling ‘simplicity of design’ and arguing about who used to listen to Bob Dylan and who used to listen to the Beatles (Dylan was the right answer, Beatles listeners were simpletons)… Let’s see, how can I be hopeful? How can I end this on a positive note? Funny thing is there was never a movement, just confusion. I think everybody wants to be free. That’s the movement I want to be a part of. Not a debt slave. Not a gas slave. Not an electric slave. Not an internet slave. Not a government slave…. We’re going to find our freedom in our own way. But it is getting clear that it doesn’t need to be cut & dry, all or nothing – but it is freedom we are after… I only made it about 10 pages into Brand’s book. And I only made it about 20 pages into the edited collection of Mother Earth from Emma Goldman. You know, I’m back peadaling on my positive note but yeah, I guess I can get excited about some first world folks going off to live like the global poor (third world) in their twenties again (wow, that wasn’t positive at all) but I’ll be more excited when the third world people in their twenties start telling the first world to piss off. Ah but Nationalism invites bombs, doesn’t it? And I was trying to end on a positive note.

1. I respect how you tried to stay positive there 😉

13. Tres Jolie says:

Sometimes I feel like yelling out all you guys are missing the point but then I remind myself that what you, Andrea, are all about is doing your best to tell your truth. Even if I see you having a real hard time I also see you going in the right direction.

We’re all free now. We’re all exactly where we need to be. Now. I wish we could all just stop with the self torture of why aren’t we where we want to be. This right action business has been torturing people forever. Sometimes I think that Werner Erhard had something going on when he said we have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

I just wanna say all you guys are doing a outstanding job because you are THINKING. You’re not just asleep at the wheel. That’s what gets me excited!

14. Well, waking up, drinking coffee and reading through these comments makes me feel a positive tingling vibe, let me tell you that 🙂
    I think Erhard is right: we have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable, we have to let go of all our privelliges, it’s wrong that we- as the global 1% have everything on behalf on someones else’s misery. On the other hand it doesn’t help at all to realise that and just sit and feel shit about it. Felling like shit never helped anyone. That’s why I need the idealists. They, at least, TRY. And so here I sit as a grumpy old lady pissed of about their double standards – but I do respect that they HAVE standards because a lot of modern people have not. We have been taught that there is no truth, no ethics and moral, no right and wrong- that the only right thing is success/growth/more/more and I do think it’s time for some sort of moral reflection, that we need to take some sort of moral standpoints… I do.
    And I try.
    But I can’t be completely idealistic, idealistic people scare the shit of me – also. I don’t want to be a leader or a role model. I want to participate in something bigger and larger, I really want to…. I need it. But I can’t go down the path of the super idealistic people. So what’s left?
    Moral standpoints without idealism? Pracmatic moralism?
    I can feel that my morals are shaping. Someone does something that oversteps my boundaries and conceptions of right and wrong. I feel this much more clearly now than I did before. It makes me harder. So..
    Well. Babble.
    What I wanted to say: thank you!

Great discussion you guys, love it. Andrea, I feel like “isms” you mentioning are just concepts, totally different, depending on what side of the ocean you look at them, so really empty of any meaning. “Socialism” is different here in America than it is in Sweden.

Eumaeus, your thoughts were excellent. All leftist movements lost their appeal to me, not sure if because I was pulled to the right by my spouse, or because I saw a lot of non-sense in them. I am still on all subscriber lists, and see all the local Occupy announcements coming in. They all either self-destroyed themselves or made ridiculous asses of themselves. According to my rightist husband, all left movements are either started by the rich and powerful behind them, or infiltrated and control by them. I am not super negative about it, but there is definitely some truth in it. Just watch kids in the playground and you will see some of those dynamics. Or/and like you say, they get comfortable in their love and peace and I am cool movement, and they get stale. Best line “but I’ll be more excited when the third world people in their twenties start telling the first world to piss off.” Yes, that is key, some if it I think is happening, but then again, when you have nothing living in the mud, you want something better, when they got it all, realize that is not the happiness, then they look back. But everyone seems to have to go through that cycle, which for some may take a lifetime. I had listened to the tent hippies whisper, I had listened to the nationalists heil hitler. . Neither one make too much sense. . And there is quite a bit truth in what both sides write. I just received a letter from a good Lithuanian friend, who is now very much a nationalist, but interestingly he started as a fighter for freedom in Lithuania, arrested and expelled, he then turned to be leftist in America, and then tangling and untangling things he turned into a nationalist. But no, not always they call for bombs. . just a lot of judgements.
    But you know what, go on planting the trees. That is definitely one thing that will not hurt anyone and CAN save the world. Go on planting. 🙂

NC, yes, nothing too organized, that is the key. How do you make society where everyone is free to join and free to leave as they wish? USA society is a society of migrants, how do you keep everyone engaged. . When my dad was visiting from the old country, he said: you know, this is very much a police state (which surprised him, because he thought America would be totally free, the opposite of Soviet system). He then concluded, that you need to have a police state when you have so much diversity and immigrants and not a monolithic society with same roots. .

Tres Jolie, nice words. Yes, and people thinking and discussing does not mean self-torture, right? At least for me it does not. Quite the opposite. Self-torture is when you follow some crowd and keep chanting some slogans, but deep inside you think: this makes no sense. Uncomfortable always was and always will be. Just do what you can do to reduce uncomfort in your immediate life, you cannot feed every starving child in Africa – or even waste time obsessing about the suffering of those children in Africa. . or figure out the best political system, many brights minds tried that since Aristotle and before. . .

E, more.
    Will watch Burt’s Bees trailer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think I could only do about 20 pages of either Brand or Goldman books if that. Sounds like there is really nothing new in that movement since I was really following some 15 or so years ago. . Really hard to see that decades passed, and nothing had changed, same thoughts there, same wars being fought and protested. .

” I think everybody wants to be free. That’s the movement I want to be a part of. Not a debt slave. Not a gas slave. Not an electric slave. Not an internet slave. Not a government slave….” Not a slave of your own thoughts and obsessions of not wanting to be a slave of something. 🙂

Ok, just read through reviews of Burt’s Buzz. Interesting personal story and typical business story, nothing new really, sounds like a cry fiddle for Mr. Shavitz, if you ask me. . although I had not seen the film. I would not even take that story at face value. Don’t take anything at face value. If you really want a story, gotta go out there and research it yourself, movie will not tell you the true story.
    Great, now I am siting here in my jeans and black turtleneck, and even Burt’s bees lip balm. . A total slave of it all. 🙂

Andrea,
    There is a quote, “If you are young and not liberal, then you have no heart; but if you are old and not conservative, then you have no brain,” attributed to Disraeli or Churchill. Maybe best is to have of both: liberal hearts (idealistic) and conservative brains (pragmatic). Why do idealists scare you? They inspire me actually. They may do crazy things. They may hold on too tight to their beliefs to the point of annoyance, but still, we need that passion. Sorry for spamming. I will go write a post on this, I guess. .

19. Tres Jolie says:

So my question is: How do we take this energy out into the world for positive change/transformation? Start with ourselves, expand to our immediate environment, keep on going? What form will the energy take? How will it look when manifested in the world around us?

I think that’s right, Renee. The ‘how do we do it’ is manifesting itself in our lives. We ARE doing it. We are doing exactly what needs to be done I think.

“What form will the energy take?” I think it looks like a recognition of the truth, an affirmation of the truth, just a nod perhaps, “I see you”. I think it also looks like a recognition of falseness, a clearing of confusion, calling out the lie, like R. Brand does with the Trews perhaps, “I see you”.

We reinforce the truth in each other – the ‘positive change/transformation’, in your words. We affirm that.

And we recognize falseness as well. But there doesn’t have to be anything “personal” about this recognition – that is the hard part, I think. There is nothing wrong with people who, in confusion, embrace falsity. There was never anything wrong with idols. The t.v. commercials sell love. There is nothing wrong with love.

I guess what I’m saying is this. Recognize the falseness, the confusion in yourself and affirm truth and freedom in others. That is the path forward.

1. Tres Jolie says:

Yes yes. On falseness: I got a little idea from Pema Chodron once. (here I paraphrase so forgive but I think I have the jist) She said people of like mind have an agreement. It is an agreement based in loving kindness. The people agree to call out when they see falseness/foible/whatever. She calls the falseness by it’s buddhist name “shen-pa”. An example: I see falseness. I tug my ear as a signal. It’s says: I see your shen-pa! (said in a sing song voice). Again Ghandi: be the change you wish to see in the world. Right? Frustratingly slow for me here in the field but I remind myself that the slow way is the fast way. And for the “infidels” that aren’t of like mind? Just practice loving kindness.

That’s what you’re saying. Be the ocean wearing away the rocks on the shore. The rocks don’t even know what’s happening.

I need you guys and people like you to shore me up when I lose faith. Peace.

Sorry if I am just babbling. . I am still thinkig back to some things, and I think often, when someone is so into “saving the whole world” it is just a big ego trip: I want to be next Jesus, next Hitler, next Mother Theresa, whatever. . The whole trip then really does not involve helping anyone at all, just boosting yourself to some heights: I had 20 thousand blog followers, I ‘made’ such and such change their minds, I made this happen, that happen. . . That is not really helping anyone, mostly breeding hatred, distrust, not cooperation. Yes, we need movers and shakers sometimes, we need Edward Abbey’s of the world to shake things up, but hey, we need every day doers even more, need Andrea and her log cabbin, the Hewitts (yes, Ben, good try, Edward Abbey you are not 🙂 ) and Eumaeus & co and countless others just doing things.
        Can more be done, yes. But we are getting too old (joking!). 🙂 Pass along some of your knowledge to the young, thank you Tres Jolie!

3. Tres Jolie says:

Thank you but really I am your humble servant and that is said without a shred of facetious-ness. I mean it.

E. yes, golden words to recognize falseness in yourself and affirming freedom in others, easier said than done for most of us. Did Ghandi even practice or was able to achieve that? When a ‘peace’ fascist calls on hunger strike is that a total affirmation of freedom or are they trying to affect someone with their actions – whether it is with a gun or a hunger strike. Seems like there is always striving to change/affect something or someone, just the means are different. Freedom is the most difficult concept for me to grasp.

Adyshanti said in Falling into Grace, page 186: “It will tell you if you’re getting a little off balance, a little too far left, or a little too far right off the path. A true spiritual teaching will never take anyone’s autonomy; it won’t require us to give away our good sense. Yes, don’t grasp your judging ideas; don’t stick with your own authority because there is something within everyone, even at the start of their search for freedom, that has a stand in truth, an intuitive sense of what’s real or not real.” And you can omit “spiritual” in the above if that bothers you, and just use that idea of how to follow your inner wisdom and autonomy and for some that wisdom and autonomy will lead to bigger things, to changes we can implement in the others or the world, I believe.
    As Ben wrote in his blog, one log at a time. So, let it get done, one log at a time, one smile at a time, one child at time, one person at a time, one cow at a time, one walnut tree at a time, one idea at a time, one book at a time, one cut up credit card at a time . . .

21. Tres Jolie says:

Ditto Ditto you said it sister!!

22. syberpunk says:

Freedom is a state off mind , the rest is responsibility . Moral is – what you like .
    The truth is – we dont know shit .
    Peace

23. Andy Jukes says:

Andrea,
    You say that you do not want to be a leader but you are! Don’t worry about it. You don’t have to do anything other than what you are doing. Because leaders DO things. Things which inspire others. Who become followers. The followers form a tribe. The tribe creates the sense of community which you say you desire.
    And you are exactly right to say that morals are vital. Because there are, of course, many examples of great leaders whose impact on the world was terrible. Often because they inspired hatred, jealousy, anger, destructive feelings. These leaders inspire their followers to do terrible acts: build death-camps, torture prisoners, kill innocents.
    These kinds of leaders are often idealists. Idealists have a tendency to believe that they have THE ANSWER, the ONLY answer.
    Pragmatists tend to realise that there are many answers. Many ways to solve the problem. Which ever way works for you.
    I think that this may be why you feel uneasy about the idealists. I think that your instincts are right. We need the idealists – they are often very inspirational. But we need the pragmatists too – to demonstrate to the idealists that truth is plural. Pragmatists are the ones bringing the ideas into the world for others to see. To do this compromise is always necessary. I think compromise is fine – as long as you are clear about your core values so that you do not compromise them.
    You are a leader because you are DOING it. Doing a life that is different. To my mind, you are a very good leader because you do not seek mindless followers. In fact, you DEMAND that your followers think for themselves, make their own compromises, think about what THEY are doing. Your blog is an important tool in achieving that.
    People become leaders because they are brave enough to put ideas into action. What others think about – they do.
    What stops the rest doing more than thinking about it? – Fear!
    Fear of failure. Fear of disapproval. Fear of ridicule. And on and on. A million different fears.
    You are brave. You are brave enough to do what you believe in. Brave enough to write about it.
    You are a leader.
    Sorry!

1. Andy, thank you for your comment. You put into words what I could not at the time. Yes. The world needs the plural and moral is needed although there is no single truth. And being a leader sucks (sorry) 🙂

2. Scott says:

Very well-stated.

OK, I’m going to go sit in the back of the classroom now and hope nobody notices me as I read my copy of Daniel Quinn’s “Ishmael.” Lots of Truths being told here and I am humbled and inspired. And, I actually am re-reading Ishmael right now. Find something new every time. I now expect either Eumaeus’ or Bee’s icons to change to a picture of a gorilla!

LOL 🙂 Yes, will do, this one is on my list to read.. still. .as soon as I do that, gorilla it will be.

Warning: totally pessimistic comment.
    Some days it just feels like everything has all been said, all been done before. The rise and fall of societies; the Romans, the Greeks, and all the others. Like all our talk is just one big mantra being repeated over and over again. Maybe I just need to think in circles instead of trying to get somewhere.
    OK, done. Time to go paint.

yes, it is over and over, and history keeps repeating itself. Societies fell and will fall, have to live with that, as long as the whole humanity does not annihilate itself. And even then, maybe that will be ok. So yes, go paint while you can. 🙂 Pessimistic enough?
      At least these blogs and thoughts are more interesting to read than presidential debates.

26. Tres Jolie says:

Yes, go paint. Pessimism, OK. We ARE going in circles. An astute observation. But don’t you know every time we circle we go a little bit higher like a hawk circling in a thermal. Study history. We are getting better. Big picture. Losing battles. Winning the war. We’re just little microbes making up a world that is getting healthier.

27. Nicole, I totally know what you mean. When I studied the rise of the “nature boy” movement in Switzerland I totally lost heart…. shit, someone have been trying to rewild the child/go back to nature/oppose to the capitalistic system forever, ever since it’s beginning…. and it’s worse than that. It goes way back. Empires.
    Sometimes I speak about the movement of resistance because I really wish a movement of resistance existed. Like the french revolution or under world war 2. And I then I think “but wait a minute, if we look at it historically: when the roman empire fell it took decades of decadence, decadence is a sure sign of an empire falling, we live in an age of (disgusting) decadence- everything we have we have on behalf of the poor- movements of resistance does not exist during years of decadence. But hey wait. Do I know that? Maybe I should study history?” And THEN I think “Well yeah, time is a flat circle” and “these are times of transformation, times of transformation have existed before, what are the specifics of this time of transformation” and THEN I think about the internet and how gross the exploration have become and then I wake up in a black hole of apathy and then I go outside….

🙂

Guys, why are you so pessimistic. . There are so many good things going on. The whole movement on rewilding (so what if it already happened in history, now is now, it is different environment), just the fact that there is George Monbiot and others like him, their blogs, speeches, their reach. Just the way Jamie Oliver tackled the school food issue. The way Monbiot brings child rewilding ideas to the educators. Look at how much the homeschool movements has grown, numbers are exploding. Look at the growth of Waldorf schools worldwide, and the publicity they are getting. Living small catching on and getting publicized. Home birth, local foods, eco buildings, you name it. . I don’t know, I see a lot of positive things. Just keep doing what you are doing, spreading one little word at a time, one idea or a good resource recommendation, share that good stuff with everyone, just don’t be afraid. They thought communism would never fall, if someone would have said that to us in USSR in the 70s, about the fall, we would have never believed it. It did, and really, it did not take much. Keep the faith and don’t be afraid!

Yeah, history… John Michael Greer has been my go to writer for years about all this “rise and fall” stuff. http://dark-mountain.net/mountaineers/john-michael-greer/

1. Thanks for that link!

28. Andy Jukes says:

I think Andrea said it best – Go outside.
    There is the answer. The cure. Outside.
    I’ve been on this laptop too long this morning. Inside.
    Then I go too much inside my head.
    Too much brain.
    I don’t think that we can think ourselves out of trouble.
    Maybe we can walk ourselves out of trouble.
    Walk outside. To a better place.
    I’m going for a walk.
    Outside.

1. Thats so beautiful. To walk ourselves out of trouble….

Yes, the sun is shining today . Got to get me some sun !

29. Alex says:

Kära vänner. Här kommer mitt 10-stegsprogram:
    1.First you get an idea. 2.Then you get ideological. 3.Then you try. 4.Then you fail. 5.Then you make changes in your ideology. 6.Then you try some more. 7.Then reality kicks your ass. 8.Than you´re lost. 9.Then you try to get up- That´s where I am. 10.Next you go back to the wild wiser – Getting there soon I hope.

Ni har visat att det går om man kompromissar. Hellre långsiktighet och kompromisser än ideologisk envishet och kortsigtighet.

Er gamle tältvän Alex

30. Ååååh! Alex! Så gott at höra ifrån dig! Håbas at se dig tilbage i skogen nogongang – du er altid vällkomman här! Gillar dit 10stegs program 🙂
    kh