Insurance

Drama in the woods tonight.

Miks house burnt down. There was some malfunction in the woodstove. Everything is gone.
Eagle nest is gone.

All of his clothes, his winter pantry, all of his tools. He woke up in the middle of the night and ran, climbed down the cliff. Everything went up in the flames. Like a torch. High on the mountain.

Today everybody gathered in our house. It was a quiet day. The kids were running around, I made a pie. He´s in chock, obviously.

We are a small community out here but today I realized something extremely important.

We are each others insurance.

He has nothing now. So we all give what we can. Clothes, shoes, blankets, tools, a bed to sleep in. We will get him through this. This has become priority number one. We will build him a new house. Whatever he needs.

We may not have a great grand community. Mostly it´s just Mik, O and M, a single mother and her wonderful child, the occasional stranger retreating in our houses, those that come and those that go. But that´s enough really… when you can count on each other.

For all of you who have come to visit us over the years: please send your love, thoughts and support to Mik now. He needs it.

I can´t help but think how fragile life is. How much we need eachother. How basic it really is.

Sitting. In chock.

DSCF2026

“Here. Take a kitten. It helps”.

DSCF2024

It did help.

DSCF2028

And the thanks-giving pie.

DSCF2034

This entry was posted in Blog.

10 comments on “Insurance

1. Hilde Schollaert says:

how can i help? I would like to donate some money. I know , it isn’t much, but from this distance it’s the only thing i can think of.
    I wish all of you strenght ,love and humour.
    Hilde

1. andreahejlskov says:

Thank you Hilde! A lot of people have asked if they can send money. I´ll ask him what he thinks of this. Thank you!

2. Søren Gannik says:

Hello, Say hello from me, Søren from natha, im an old friend of Mik’s. im sorry to hear what happened… you can give him my mail if he feels to write, i will write him back. Wish him all the best and wish you all the best. Good that you take care of him, its a beautiful posting. Regards from Copenhagen..

1. andreahejlskov says:

Thank you Søren. I will. I am sure he needs all the support that he can get right now. But still…. he´s a fighter, allready doing lots of things to raise up again. Thanks!

3. Ulrike says:

I’m very sorry to hear it, and on the onset of winter, too. Is there a way to help in a material way? Sending lots of good wishes. Community is indeed the best insurance.

1. andreahejlskov says:

Community is all we need 🙂 Miks is allright and I think we have it under control now- but thank you very much!

4. Louise says:

Hvor er det forfærdeligt! Jeg sender en masse god energi til Mik… og hvor heldigt at han vågnede og slap ud i tide…! … han har knoklet sådan for at få det hus færdigt til vinteren. hvor er det bare trist at det hele er væk… smukke smukke eagles nest.

1. andreahejlskov says:

Ja, det er helt vildt. Han vågnede heldigvis op, det er det vigtigste! Men shit mand, han har ikke engang sko at gå i… ALT er væk…

5. tina says:

Life is definitely fragile. I send lots of light and love and support.

I can’t help but think, how close chaos and destruction are linked to raising and power. I get very touched by reading how you all stand up together. That’s what life is all about, isn’t it. Not being able to control what happens to us, but supporting each other and show that we are greater than the circumstances. Getting through and growing stronger. I hope you’ve done a lot of yelling and crying and hugging.

Love