Fermentation is a food storing technique that has been used all around the world, long before canning and freezing became popular.
Right now the technique of fermentation is becoming increasingly popular within foodie/prepper/green communities, mainly because the process is

1. Ridiculous  easy. In a very short time you can process vast amounts of vegetables

2. The bacteria produced under the fermentation process is extremely healthy for your body and impact your digestion in all sorts of good and important ways.
Moreso the vegetables do not lose their raw enzymes because there is no heating involved. Which is nice during the hard cold winters. Enzymes that is. And vitamins.

We grow carrots ourselves- but we didn´t have the opportunity last year to be intensively permacultural, we had to focus on building a house.  We ate all the carrots already, ok.

However sometimes you can find large amounts of vegetables for sale in the supermarkets. These are vegetables that would otherwise be thrown out. So buy them. Reduce food waste.
Be frugal. Save money. Use the resources. Like a boss!

Just the other day carrots were on sale.
And this is what I did

What you need

Vegetables ( I like to use root crops, cabbage and such)
Salt
Water
Ginger (if you like)
A good jar

What you do

Peel the carrots.
Chop of the tops and remove any bad parts.
Grap your shredder.
Shred ( I like to shred into rather large chunks)

ginger and salt

Place the shredded carrots in layers with salt in your jar.
It´s important that you use sea salt (or salt without additives)
I threw some ginger in the jar but you don´t have to.
Actually you can spice the carrots just as you please (garlic and dill are said to be a good combination to fermented carrots)

quality of the water

THEN you need go fetch some water (because you´re home alone and the water bucket was empty).
Crush the ice in the well with a big stick.  Lift the water up from the well. Go to your house.
Dont ever- ever- wear crocs in the wintertime!

I mention this business with the water because you need to add water to your carrots. And it matters what kind of water you use (again: no additives like chloride or fluoride or whatever else is in the tapwater)

wooden spoon

Now that you have placed salt (around 3 tablespoons all in all to a jar this size), carrot and maybe some ginger into the jar- add water.
Not a lot of water.

With a wooden spoon (no metal- it destroys the fermentation process)
you stump everything into place. The carrots should be just about covered in water – but no more.

onion peel

Place some onion peel on top of it all. Some people place something else to weigh the vegetables down below water level but I think this works just fine.

store

Place the jar in living room temperature.
If mold should appear on top of the onions just remove it. It´s not dangerous.

Check the jar now and then. Some people say you should absolutely not open the jar or taste the carrots- some say that it´s no problem at all.
I´m too curious to not open the lid so that´s what I do.
Suit yourself.

Let the vegetables ferment for at least a week. Then store the jar in a colder place. The vegetables will remain somewhat crisp and develop a somewhat pickled taste. Eat raw or use in your cooking.

I hope you like!

PS. You can use this recipe for other root crops and for cabbage too.

10 comments on “Fermented carrots

1. joel says:

This was interesting, i wanna try it out, but i have some questions about it, how do you know when its “done”? are you supposed to remove the onion peels when its done before storing the jar? The onion peel is supposed to be above the water and the carrots under, or? does it suppose to look like on the last picture when done? or should there be wather up til above the carrots and giger? 🙂

1. andreahejlskov says:

Glad you asked! 🙂

1. It´s done after a month (give or take) but can store for months.
      2. I keep the onions there when storing.
      3. Carrots under the water, onion peel just in the surface.
      4. No, i just made these today so this is what it looks like on day 1.
      5. The carrots should be covered with the water/salt solution. It´s not completely covered on the picture but that´s because I keep the jar on my kitchen table for a week and continue to press the carrots down.

I reccomend this article about fermenting carrots. She coveres the subject to a greater extend than me.

Thanks for reading- and asking. Keeps me on my toes and makes me better 🙂

1. joel says:

Thanks for a very fast answer! And thanks for explaining and for the link to the article, i will check it out and i will try fermenting some carrots. 🙂 By the way i have been reading alot here and watching all nice pictures, its very inspiering so thanks for sharing! And i got to say you all living in the forest there seems very cool!

2. andreahejlskov says:

Thanks! Let me know how it works out for you. always interested in hearing about peoples experiences.

3. Terese says:

Hej
    Nu skriver jeg lige på dansk, for er ikke så specielt god til at formulere mig på engelsk.
    Jeg har nyligt opdaget din blog, sikkert via en artikel delt rundt på facebook, og nøj et spændende projekt, rigtig meget held og lykke til med det.
    Nu må jeg spørge om det med fermentering, for jeg synes det er en rigtig god måde at konservere på, men fordi ingen har lært mig hvordan, og jeg må lære via læsning, så er der mange forskellige angstprægede spørgsmål der melder sig.
    F.eks. botulisme, som jo er ret så uhyggelig og snigende i sin adfærd.
    Er der faresignaler når man skal åbne og spise sin konserverede mad? Hvad er det for nogle?
    Kan man undgå/dræbe botulisme toksiner med sollys? Det siger seruminstituttet man kan, men er det noget du har erfaring med? Altså lader man sine glas stå i sollyset? Og påvirker det indholdet?
    Og så meget konkret: i den første uge gulerødderne står på køkkenbordet, er der så låg på? Og er det skruet fast, eller løst, eller ligger det bare på? Selvom jeg læste hele den artikel du linkede til fandt jeg aldrig noget svar på lige det.
    Tak for at du skriver, og skriver om dine oplevelser, det er inspirerende at læse.
    Venligst
    Terese

4. Gunilla says:

Terese, jeg har også fået lyst at prøve. Der er masser af info og opskrifter, hvis du googler “mælkesyrede grøntsager”. Kh. Gunilla

5. joel says:

Inspiered by this i have “started” some jar with carrots now… only problem is that its difficult to make the carrotslices not float on top of the water, but it works if just keep pushing them down, after a while they will stay there 🙂

here i found more information about this, but in swedish
    On that webiste is much good information about how to preserve diffrent foods, but its all in swedish…

6. Kjeld Sørensen says:

Roots you can keep through the winter in a (Danish Kule)
    You dig a 1 meter + deep hole. Here no frost. You put straw in the bottum and then your carrots – rootbee – sugar roots. Put strw around and cover it on top so it does not get wet. Then cover with earth and you have food for the winter.

7. google says:

I do not know whether it’s just me or if everyone else encountering issues
    with your website. It appears like some of the text
    within your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if
    this is happening to them too? This might be a problem with my browser because I’ve had this happen previously.

Many thanks

1. I havn´t heard of anyone else having this issue but let me know if you do…